As the new year approaches it is time to evaluate where we have been and where we want to go. It is time to get motivated, set some goals and enjoy the new beginning. Rarely, if ever, do we think of new year’s resolutions in terms of self-defense. There are 5 specific self-defense related goals I want to achieve in 2017. By sharing them with you, I hope to motivate you to set some goals and make 2017 a safe year.
- Knowledge Exchange: A great deal of my time is spent learning from others. Sometimes it’s listening to stories told by others in self-defense seminars, other times it is watching footage of actual confrontations on YouTube. I am in the final stages of testing community self-defense forums for this site. Forums will range from self-defense mindset to hand-to-hand combatives to home security. In addition, I remain committed to publishing two blogs per week. New blogs go live every Tuesday and Thursday. I look forward to exchanging information with everyone as this online community develops.
- Train My Family: Self-defense is a regular topic of discussion around the house. Everyone has spent a great deal of time learning self-defense, the martial arts and gotten a fair amount of range time. The frequency of formal training has dropped off in the past few years. A regular training plan has already been established and will be followed in the new year.
- Physical Conditioning: One of the most important aspects of self-defense is being in shape. The end of last year was very busy and finding time to workout was difficult. This year I plan on setting aside three times per week as non-negotiable exercise time.
- Self-Defense “Workouts”: It’s easy to go to the gym or range and work on some skills and drills. However, do these actions fit into an overall plan to take your skill set to the next level? Design “workouts” before you start training. Align the drills so that they develop certain skills. Make sure your training aligns with the realities of actual confrontations.
- Home Security: For few years I have been wanting to modify two access points into my home. Hardening these access points involves new locks and reinforcing doors, hinges and jambs into surrounding studs. This is a relatively simple task but I just haven’t made it a priority, until now.
As you progress through the new year, remember one thing. Don’t let time steal your ambitions and dreams. The time to achieve is now.